Just DIY It

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

PAPER-FLOWER-WORKSHOP

{This post was inspired by a paper daffodil class I took recently, taught by Brittany of The House That Lars Built…she’s my girl-crush, as documented in a guest post I did on Brightest Young Things here and such a Total DIY Rockstar that she recently appeared on The Today Show. Someday, I will be as cool…}

I’m not a DIYer. While I do consider myself as creative–I always have for aesthetic ideas bouncing around in my mind–I don’t really know how to sew or make jewelry or artfully distress a pair of jeans. I do, however, have several cool scraps of fabric laying around my house that I’ve been saving for the day when I magically learn to sew and decide to make pillows (I know, they aren’t hard). I have some amazing sea branches on my dresser from a trip to Puerto Rico that I imagine being really cool displays/organizers for my necklaces. Every time I dig through my pile of jewels, I’m reminded of my DIY-ineptitude.

I realize that part of the DIY-fun is trying it, figuring it out, and maybe failing, but the part of me that is wildly perfectionistic wants to just jump into being a Total DIY Rockstar.

Lately, I’ve noticed a slew of classes–online and in-person, that seem like the perfect solution. Here are some 4 options, 3 of which are local!

TOPAZARROW06

Topaz & Arrow: Creative duo Morgan Hungerford West and Virginia Arrisueno will lead monthly DIY classes for home and personal style. The first one, involving some sort of branch-and-feather home project, is next week.

elliot-bryant-b

Corcoran College of Art + Design Continuing Education classes: Classes are taught by pros inn their field, most of the instructors working artists themselves. Offerings include everything from printmaking and book arts to jewelry-making and 3D printing (that one starts September 8).

c0dba10e-da6a-40e9-aefe-86b91a0c157e-638_q60-jpg

LivingSocial: LivingSocial, if you’re still signed up for those maddening emails, offers classes at its F Street location; courses have included flower arranging: https://www.livingsocial.com/events/cities/1-washington-d-c/647184-floral-arranging-class

4772192f

PS I Made This on SkillShare: Erica Domesek, who runs the addictive DIY blog P.S. I Made This, is running online classes that you can take at your leisure. Coming up, learn how to make embroidered statement jewelry.

Any you know of/like?

Comments

If you would like to make a comment, please fill out the form below.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Comments

3,057 Comments so far
  1. Janeth Haugen September 30, 2016 9:30 am

Lunatik coupon

2. car insurance free quotes September 30, 2016 11:31 am

When you are going to Taoyuan,you must go to shi men mountain.In Taoyuan,even you are live near by or far away,people still go mountain climbing in shi men mountain.The air is fresh there,and water is pure.When you go to the top of the mountain, you can look down from above all the scenery.This place is really make people relax.So,when you are going to Taoyuan,you can’t miss shi men mountain where you can relax yourself.

3. Demetra Ramsier September 30, 2016 1:53 pm

I’ve recently started a web site, the info you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work. “A physicist is an atom’s way of knowing about atoms.” by George Wald.

4. apply pr September 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Good post! 🙂

5. click through the following internet site September 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening. I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this content together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it!|

6. Milo September 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

7. next page September 30, 2016 3:33 pm

I’m typically to running a blog and i actually respect your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and maintain checking for new information.