On Michelle Obama, Instincts & Image

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Snippets of an email chain currently ongoing between me, another fellow publicist in town, a top network reporter, and a journalist from a major daily newspaper:

…………”So some people are all upset about how FLOTUS goes Wu twice, right? I think that’s so lame…it sends a different message: You go with what you’re comfortable with and what makes you feel best. Kate Middleton picks the same few designers and styles, and it actually makes her look better because she knows what works.”

…………”I waited tables at the same place in college, and the owner used to say that wine is just old grape juice and that if you like something, drink it. Not that Jason Wu is old grape juice……”

………..I have to say, my initial reaction was “How could you not give another designer the same boost that you gave to Jason Wu??”

But ultimately, I came to the same conclusion. It’s your big night, go with what you know works! FLOTUS supports lots of fabulous designers everyday and did throughout inauguration. Pick a few designers that you love and wear them constantly. Everyone has a different fit model…I love Narcisco Rodriguez and I just have to accept that his fit model is my mortal enemy, and I can never wear his beautiful clothes without spending a small fortune on tailoring. Sniff sniff. It also makes stalking online sales much easier…which let’s be honest, is the only reason I can stuff my closet with designer duds. Thank you Vaunte and Vente Privee!”

…………”Many First Ladies before her were complete slaves to certain designers and very rarely ventured outside of their comfort zones. It’s only because Michelle has been so eccentric and exciting in her choices that we expect a new designer choice from her. But when she wears something twice, or chooses a designer twice, it shows her reasonable, steady nature–a key balance for her image, I’d think. Also, FLOTUS and her team ask designers for their best efforts and then they chose what she’ll wear. That’s often like what actresses/stylists will do for an important event like the Oscars. Other first ladies will say I want this type of sleeve, I will only wear these colors…Michelle treats the designer like an artist and doesn’t insert herself, which is notable.”

…………”I appreciated that she trusted her instincts. She liked it the best, so she wore it. In life and in love, wouldn’t we all like to be so wise?!”

If you would like to make a comment, please fill out the form below.

Name (required)

Email (required)

12,414 Comments so far
  1. WELLS FARGO home insurance October 27, 2016 9:58 am

F*ckin’ awesome issues here. I’m very happy to peer your post. Thank you so much and i am looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

2. PewDiePie Tuber Simulator Hack October 27, 2016 10:09 am

I’d like to find out more? I’d like to find out more

3. fashion week October 27, 2016 11:06 am

Fingers down, Apple’s app shop wins by means of a mile. It is really a substantial selection of all styles of applications vs a very not happy final decision of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has systems, especially within just the realm of games, still I’m not sure I might require towards bet on the future if this function is important towards you. The iPod is a much far better selection within that circumstance.

4. 9mm for sale October 27, 2016 11:29 am

Sorry for the large research, still I am very loving the refreshing Zune, and be expecting this, as perfectly as the high-quality evaluations some other people in america include penned, will support you come to a decision if it truly is the directly final decision for by yourself.

5. major key alert October 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Very descriptive post, I loved that bit. Will there be a part 2?

6. professional website designers October 27, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi there everyone, it’s my first pay a visit
    at this site, and post is in fact fruitful in support of
    me, keep up posting these articles or reviews.

7. best microphone for ten tec jupiter October 27, 2016 4:32 pm
  8. best urologist in ahmedabad October 27, 2016 4:46 pm

Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog post
    or vice-versa? My site discusses a lot of the same topics as yours
    and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog
    by the way!

9. employment law attorneys October 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Actually no matter if someone doesn’t know afterward
    its up to other users that they will help, so here it takes place.

10. Karina October 27, 2016 6:05 pm

I simply wanted to send a brief note to say thanks to you for all the fabulous guides you are writing on this site. My particularly long internet search has at the end been compensated with really good facts to go over with my classmates and friends. I ‘d assert that many of us website visitors are definitely blessed to be in a fine website with many outstanding professionals with great techniques. I feel extremely blessed to have used your entire webpage and look forward to so many more exciting times reading here. Thank you once more for a lot of things.

11. lipsy london sale coats October 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing
    months oof hard work due to no backup. Do you have any methods to protect against hackers?

12. diagnostics automobile diagnostics October 27, 2016 6:33 pm

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was once entirely right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not consider just how so much time I had spent for this info!

13. email marketing templates design October 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Also visit my web blog: email marketing templates design

14. xem bong da hd October 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Great delivery. Sound arguments. Keep up the good work.